Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Birthday Tex Mex, FlugTog and the Onion





It was an eventful weekend. On Saturday we celebrated our friend Jamie’s birthday. The festivities started out with a large group of us competing in a heated 18 holes of Pirate Mini Golf, or as we like to refer to it in America, Putt Putt. Both Veronica and I had not played in a long time, and I have to admit it was actually quite a fun time. After our team smoked the competition we all headed up the road to have dinner at Tex Mex. No, I am not referring to the kind of food, but rather the actual name of the restaurant. Texas flags adorned walls both downstairs and upstairs. However, when I looked at the menu and saw a burrito listed at $21, I began to have the sneaking suspicion that whoever owned the place was a complete retard who had never been to Texas. But I must say the food wasn’t bad, nothing spectacular, but not pathetic. An added bonus was that they made a tasty margarita. Nonetheless, it reminded Veronica and I how much we miss Mexican food. We only have a month and a half to go before we are gorging ourselves on all the Tex Mex and Mexican food we can eat though. Glorious!

Sunday we woke early, grabbed a coffee from Barefoot and caught the ferry into the city. Red Bull was putting on the first Australian FlugTog. The FlugTog is the competition where madmen run off a 20-foot platform in the hopes of flying (gliding) across an expanse of water. Since it was free, and also being held right behind the Opera House in the Botanical Gardens it seemed like a no-brainer to go check it out. And so did the other 60,000 people who showed up. Luckily for us our friends Martina and Gavin got the there even earlier than us and got good seats. We had an enjoyable day cheering, laughing, and cringing at some of the pathetic attempts at flight. None of the 36 entrants even cleared 15 meters, let alone coming close to the World Record of 60 meters. Further proof that not many Australians are likely to get recruited to work for NASA. Good times.

One last thought for the night. Veronica and I have finally found one negative from having LASIK eye surgery. Namely, without contacts protecting our eyes, the vapors emitted from a cut onion now burn’s our eyes like the dickens! Last night I cooked some pork chops, but I was ready for the onions this time. Taking extra precaution for my eyes I relied on Veronica’s swim goggles to help protect me from the vicious fumes that waft through the air. Team VM 1, Onion 0.

No comments: