Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Mardi Gras in Sydney






Where to begin as so much has happened in these past 4 days? I guess we shall begin with our friend and flatmate, Morgan, getting kicked out of our place. Here is a very short recap. The reason this happened is because Jimmy (the landlord of our run down hotel) actually works at Video Australasia. (It is actually Jimmy’s job that I was filling in for as he has gone a tad bit bonkers) Jimmy has gone bonkers because he feels that Morgan picks on him at work, thus he kicked him out of the place on Thursday. Not only that, but Jimmy had a lawyer file formal complaints to the company against Morgan on Friday. Jimmy has dug his own grave and will be canned at work, because he lied on his timesheets. A sad situation.

On to lighter news though; Saturday night was the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras parade here in Sydney. Veronica and I strolled into town at around 6 as the parade was starting at 7:45. Bad move. Hyde Park was already packed with people jostling for position to see the parade on Oxford Street. As you can probably tell from the pictures we had a pretty crappy vantage point. Still, Veronica and I had fun people watching as at least half of the crowd was dressed up. The streets were packed with drunken 15 to 25 year olds. Perhaps it was the result of seeing all of these kids going crazy but I really started to feel old at that moment.

On Sunday I woke early to go surfing with my mates Andy and Jay. We headed out to Narrabeen to surf a sandbar pretty much to ourselves. Even though it was only 2 to 3 feet, the wave is pretty scary as it goes completely hollow most of the time. I slipped into a classic barrel but then blew it while in the tube. I was so bummed. Even worse than the blown tube is that Andy and I got mauled by sea lice. A sea lice bite is similar to a mosquito except that it itches way worse. The bites are all over my legs and stomach. I would include a picture except that the bites look disgusting, real disgusting.

Veronica and I went and had lunch at an ocean side place that we had wanted to try called the barKing frog. It was actually quite tasty, much to our surprise and delight. While eating there the first Australian Idol, Guy Sebastion, was sitting right across the way from us. Of course we did not realize this at the time. It was only when I went into work on Monday and I saw a video playing this guy’s song did I realize Veronica and I had eaten right next to a bona fide Australian celebrity. Needless to say I am bummed not to have gotten his autograph. L

Sunday was also Jay’s birthday so after going for a second surf in the arvo (afternoon) we went and had some beers at the beach and watched the sunset. Afterwards we went to a chocolate restaurant for some desert. It was a good end to a nice weekend.

No comments: