Monday, June 23, 2008

Training, Surfing, Birthday Party and a righteous concert


Okay folks, we are back after a brief lack of blogging, my sincere apologies to all. The big news right now is that Veronica is training like a Communist gymnast for the City to Surf run in 7 or 8 weeks time. The run starts; you guessed it, in the City and ends at Bondi Beach. It is a big event here, similar to San Francisco’s Bay to Breakers, and Veronica is excited.

I’m excited too, not about running, but about the fact that I am finally back in the water after a month hiatus. Truly, I have felt like a little kid this past week each time I put on my wetsuit and run along the sand to the water. But as with any good thing, there was a bit of pain involved. My first two surfs in Manly this past Tuesday and Wednesday were brutal. The waves were SO good, and the only thing I was doing well was wiping out. Eating crap actually is a better description, and while it was humiliating and frustrating it was made all worthwhile on Friday when I caught an absolute cracker of a wave. That beautiful blue Narrabeen wave gave me a hell of a ride all the way to the beach, and it put some serious joy in my soul.

We had a HUGE weekend. HUGE, no joking. We partied like we were in our 20’s. Wait, Veronica is still in her 20’s. Damn. Okay, we partied like we were in college by going out hard 2 nights in a row. Dastardly behavior I know, but our friend Kate’s birthday was Friday, so we went out in King’s Cross for a night of dancing. Dear readers, you will be relieved to hear there were no stabbings this night though. However, it was a long night, enjoyable nonetheless, but we made it home around the unholy hour of 5.

Saturday, after sleeping in, we made our way down to Barefoot for coffee. We took our heavenly combinations of roasted beans and frothy milk to go and headed to the beach where we met up with Jay, Ria and Jamie. We played with Ria on the beach, and I did not have the camera, which is a shame because the Rigler is one extremely cute toddler. I am keeping the camera with me all next weekend, I promise! We headed home and took it easy the rest of the afternoon to prepare ourselves for the night. Somehow we were lucky enough to score tickets to see The Black Keys at The Manning Bar. Who are The Black Keys? Sadly this will most likely be a common reaction, but let me tell you, these guys ROCK! Made up of Dan on guitar and vocals and Patrick on drums, these two blues rock Gods hail from Akron, Ohio. They own it. There sound is soulfully heavy, and I have to say this was one of the best concerts that I have seen in a long time. Incidentally, Dan Auerbach’s guitar is a Gibson SG, the same guitar that Angus Young plays. Just like dear Angus, the sound emanating from that axe was pure sonic pleasure.

So after getting home at only 2, Veronica and I managed to sleep until noon Sunday. Excellent stuff. Had coffee, and then had some Fish Mongers, before grabbing some groceries to make our Chicken Tortilla Soup. Relaxed. Made dinner, watched the series finale of Grey’s Anatomy, then we watched the best show on TV right now, Flight of the Conchords before crashing.

I apologize for the lack of wit regarding this post; I am still out of commission. Even though I surfed this cold, sunny morning I still feel like I am moving in slow motion.

No comments: