Friday, June 13, 2008

A sunny day before the rain

The past two days have finally seen the sun resume it's rightful place in the sky. Apparently it is to be short lived though as this weekend is supposed to be rain filled. It's been quite depressing being back in Australia. The weather has stunk, we had to go back to work, and I haven't been able to surf because of my eye. As such I have been sleeping and reading a bit more than usual.

In that vein, I finished reading Etgar Keret's "The Girl on the Fridge" short story collection. Keret is a literary sensation, especially in his homeland, Israel. Having read articles about him in 'The Believer' I had tried in vain to find some of his collections, but it was not until going to City Lights in San Francisco that I actually found a bookstore that carried him. While the stories were a bit hit or miss (apparently they were a collection of some of his earlier stories), the standout stories really make a huge impression. What is most fascinating about his writing though is that none of the short stories surpass 3 pages. The dude is remarkably economical in telling a story. I would recommend this book, however, I read a review that said the book to get was 2006's 'The Nimrod Flipout'.

Oh, I will try and get the camera out this weekend to take some photos for the next post. Only other news I have is that we scored tickets to see The Black Keys next Saturday. STOKED!

No comments: