Thursday, June 5, 2008

Arkansas

This morning I just finished the novel 'Arkansas' by John Brandon. I am generally not a big seeker of new writer's, but since I have a certain affinity towards McSweeney's I asked for this book for my birthday. Thankfully it was a much better novel than the last McSweeney's book I read, 'Bowl of Cherries'.

Brandon's prose is flowing, and the story is certainly interesting (drug runners who pose as Junior Park rangers). However, what really sets the novel above most derives from the quirky characters that have been thrown together. Anywho, you won't see this book on Oprah's Book Club, and most likely it won't be on The New York Times bestseller list, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't pick it up if you get the chance.

Oh, and the weather still sucks here in Sydney. Cold, rainy, miserable. Bummer dude.

No comments: