Sunday, October 28, 2007

Invasion of the Flies



Well, this past week back in Sydney has seen Veronica spending a lot of time at work. She has working like a farmer trying to finish up a few reports, so this week my main contribution to our domestic bliss has been in making dinners. I have to say I am getting used to being a quasi Mr. Mom domestic type. Otherwise, I have been busy trying to surf as much as possible each morning before work. Mostly the surf has been pretty average the past month, but on Friday the waves started turning on. By Saturday morning the waves were pretty much epic, 3 to 4 and just barreling. Mike and I went out early to Dee Why/Long Reef on Saturday, and walking along the beach we were both in disbelief at how insane the waves were. Unfortunately my skills did not shine and I got beat out there. A humbling experience out in the soup for me, no doubt somehow brought on by my sour mood at not finding a job.

Veronica went for a long run that morning, and afterwards we went and had a coffee at our favorite coffee shop in Manly, Barefoot. We then went and met up with our friends to walk around the Corso and have some lunch. Later on, closer to sunset, we met our friends Gavin and Martina at the Bavarian to have a few mango beers (where both of the photos were taken). These beers, while quite delicious, are also a tad on the expensive side, which is why we consider these beers to be a treat and usually limit ourselves to only 2 each.

After the sunset, we headed over to our friend Andy’s place for a barbie. While we expected a bigger crowd, it ended up only being our close group of friends, and the night ended early as the boys were going out for a night on the town.

On Sunday morning Veronica and I both slept in. Since we had not been to Carlos’s Coffee in a while (one of the finest purveyors of coffee on the Northern Beaches), we took a drive over to Freshwater in order to quaff a tasty flat white. Carlos delivered his usual dose of caffeine goodness, and then Veronica went up to work, leaving me alone. I ended up going over our former flat mate Morgan’s house, and then we went surfing, after an extended shopping trip to surf shops looking for a pair of sunglasses. The surf was fun, and quite warm. It seems that very soon I won’t need to wear a full wetsuit in the surf, which is a shame since I just got my Patagonia suit a little over a month ago.

I finished reading an excellent novel “Absolute Beginners” by Colin MacInnes. The novel is considered to be the British equivalent of “The Catcher and the Rye”, and it turned out to be one of the best novels I have read in quite some time. It is actually out of print, but you can still find used copies of it on Amazon.com. I highly recommend anyone who loves literature to pick this book up as it is magic.

Monday is now here and the flies continue to get worse. Apparently they will keep getting worse in November, until they leave a little after Christmas. Suck.

No comments: