Friday, August 31, 2007

It's Official: we have our own place and we are ghetto!






The last 2 weeks have been quite eventful. First, we had the pleasure of having Veronica’s sister Amanda stay with us for 10 days. Veronica and Amanda had a great time gallivanting around Sydney, visiting beaches, museums, shops, the Opera House and various other neighborhoods and attractions. Veronica had a fabulous time, after all, getting to sleep in and delight in enjoyable touristy endeavors is certainly much more fun than working. It was sad seeing Amanda leave last weekend, but she had to get back to Arkansas to start her senior year of high school.

Later that week Veronica and I decided it was finally time to get our own place. I mean geez, what married couple has a roommate? Oh yeah, poor travelers. We began looking for places on the Internet, and voila, on Thursday (not even 2 days later) we had secured a nice, one bedroom apartment only 150 yards from our current place. The rent is relatively affordable, but more importantly we still live not even 5 minutes walking to the Wharf. Being close to the Wharf is key since Veronica catches the ferry every weekday for her hellish hour and a half commute.

That Saturday the surf picked up to 3 to 4 foot. My buddies and I headed up to Avoca, 2 hours North of Sydney. The waves were titillating, delicious, it was so good it almost hurt. Yes, it was that good. I surfed until I was physically unable to surf any longer. The swell stayed around amazingly and I got to surf again on Sunday and Tuesday. The weather was perfect, making it some of the best surfs I have had here in Australia.

Finally, this past week Veronica and I had the pleasure of getting to go on our first Manly “Ghetto Shopping Spree” adventure. Every six months the residents of Manly are allowed to put old furniture out in front of their houses so that the trash collectors can collect it. Manly has a fair amount of “richies” who love to get rid of furniture that is perfectly good, just because it might no longer be in style. Since Veronica and I are moving into a new place and have no furniture, we went to town on our shopping spree. Even though I don’t fancy myself much of a shopper, I am completely down with Ghetto Shopping! Perhaps this is because it is free, but who cares, we got some dynamite stuff. Side note: Veronica didn’t want me to mention our shopping spree to you guy’s as she is a tad embarrassed by the whole situation. My wife realizes that one and all know that I am a bit of scoundrel, but she doesn’t want the World to think I have comprised her sanity, or taste. With that being said, I forced her to go on the Ghetto Shopping Spree. But don’t laugh, because if you’re coming to visit us over here in Oz, you will most certainly be basking in the delightful comfort of our “FREE” furniture!

I will admit, it is a tad bizarre to think that living in a upscale area has helped to transform both of us into furniture scavengers, but I am not that worried, I am too busy embracing the fruit of our spoils!

No comments: