Thursday, August 9, 2007

Amanda, Barry Bonds, and The Shins






On Wednesday morning, Veronica and I woke at the butt crack of dawn to drive out to the airport to pick up her sister Amanda. Needless to say Veronica was ecstatic that Amanda had finally arrived in Sydney. Once we got back to Manly we went and had breakfast at a new little café near our place that serves some delicious, yet tiny waffles. I headed off for work while Amanda, Veronica and our friend Brenda went around the Northern Beaches checking out the sites. That night Veronica and I cooked one of the 4 meals that we enjoy, chicken pasta with mushrooms and green peppers. Delicious.

That night before going to bed I watched the news. To my disgust and horror even the Australian news was showing that pathetic juicer break the homerun record. Major League Baseball has now hit a new low having that jerk hold its most important record. I did find it funny that a New Yorker caught the ball. It turns out he was on a layover on his way to Australia for vacation.

Last night Veronica and I got to go see one of our favorite bands, The Shins play at the Enmore Theatre. My sister Jill has seen them in concert before, and in her words the show was “an experience”. They started off playing “Sleeping Lessons”, which completely crescendos in a rollicking melodic jam that was insanely awesome. Next they played “Australia” and then some other jams. We were surprised when they started playing “New Slang” for the 7th song of the set, somehow I had thought they would end the show with it. Regardless, it was beautiful. The amazing part of their show is the band members hardly take any breathers. 30 seconds between a song was their longest break. For the encore, they came back out onstage and played a Pink Floyd cover. They followed that with another one of their hits before ending the show on “So Says I”, which completely brought the house down. I wish just words could convey how good of a time Veronica and I had at the concert!

No comments: