Monday, July 7, 2008

Weekends are way too short

Is it just V and I, or do weekends most seem way too short? It’s already Monday morning, and since we were not fortunate enough to have July 4th off, this past weekend seems like a hazy dream. Which is a real bummer.

Besides the brevity of the weekend, good times were had. Friday night we went and had pizza at La Casa, then rented a movie. ‘This is England’ was pretty dark, but a sweet movie about skinheads in 1983 England. Great soundtrack and a good film, but quite dark. Go figure, a skinhead movie that is dark.

Had a nice sleep in on Saturday, and ambled to Barefoot a little before noon. With our caffeine fix satiated, Veronica went for a run and I went for a surf out at Curl Curl. Some decent wind affected waves, but I had one of those sessions where you never miss a wave and are always in the right spot. These sessions don’t happen often, so you have to appreciate it when you get it, even if the waves are by no means epic. Late afternoon we headed over to Andy’s flat for a house warming party to watch ruby. The party ended up being fun, maybe a little too much fun as I awoke Sunday feeling quite average.

Sunday morning we caught the ferry with Martina and Gavin and headed to The Rocks for the Aroma Festival. The chocolate and coffee festival had a huge turn out due to the gorgeous day. I am sure the cheap-ish coffee and chocolate had something to do with it as well, and it was a fun time. However, I absolutely HATE big events because people inevitably cut in line. Not only do they cut in line, but for some inexplicable reason, they get right in front of me. So I asked this middle aged hag with terrible sunglasses how she could have ended up in front of me, when I got behind the lady in front of her. She starts muttering about she has been running back and forth getting prices, and this is her place in line. Of course I was blown away by her articulate defense of cutting in line, so I just muttered under my breath how pathetic she was. I now realize I should not have wasted my time by muttering underneath my breath, but sometimes I honestly forgot how worthless the majority of Sydneysiders truly are. These pompous paraquats will never be labeled as considerate human beings. Sorry for the tirade, but I am genuinely in awe. Sydney is such a cool place to live, but the people who grew up here suck. Sydney = Suck People. How else do you explain that out of all of our friends, we only have one friend who actually grew up here in Sydney? However, I don’t want you to think I let a minor incident tarnish a very enjoyable weekend. It’s just been a while since I’ve gone off on a tangent and I needed to vent about this latest douche bag encounter. Forgive me for this guilty pleasure.

Before I end this thing, please check out this great blog, Stereogum, http://stereogum.com/ These nice people actually offer free MP3’s. Brilliant stuff I tell you. Page 5 of the downloads has Bon Iver’s song ‘Skinny Love’. It is the money, trust me on this. Also on there is The Black Keys covering a Captain Beefheart song. Very nice.

No comments: