Thursday, July 17, 2008

Blah






I blame the monotony of day to day life for the extended absence of updates to this blog. Sometimes I am inclined to think, does anyone want to hear about where we ate a meal, and with who? Frankly, I am bored by that. I have visions of family and friends yawning while reading the blog, and I am saddened at the thought. But enough of my silly insecurities, here is the lowdown for the past week and half.

Veronica continues her training for the City to Surf. Her devotion to training is inspiring, although I can’t claim that she has me out running, I have been shamed into making every effort to surf even on small days. Speaking of the surf, it has been just that, small. Ridiculously small. The conditions would be epic, if you were midget. But the days have been gorgeous; sunny, brisk, hardly a cloud in the sky. This Tuesday while surfing in Manly with Jay and Andy a pod of dolphins cruised by. I don’t care who you are or how jaded your heart is, when you see dolphins your spirits are instantly brightened. As if to illustrate the yin and the yang of Sydney, I was harassed by an old, senile man while parking the car afterwards. To make a long story short, this cantankerous old man informed that I should back the White Chariot up so that 4 cars could fit on the stretch of road. Harmless, except for the fact there was plenty of room for 4 cars. I would love to tell you all that I handled his rantings gracefully, but after the 4th minute when he told he was going to call the cops I told him to go ahead, and in the process to get a hobby. Old balls kept on, and that’s I when I uttered, ‘Why don’t you cork it you pathetic bread thief descendant.’ I know, it’s pretty terrible, and it’s something that I have felt bad about for the past 3 days. This isn’t even the first time I’ve had a run in with a retired person either. Perhaps my 3rd or 4th month here in Sydney I had a 60 year old man want to fight me in Glebe for walking on the wrong side of the sidewalk! Geez, no wonder Sydneysiders are gigantic a**holes, they learned their crappy behavior from their elders.

This past weekend we had a free dinner at the Bavarian Bier CafĂ©. Oh yeah, that is one of the perks of having a foreign license, and your boss having a lead foot. I will say no more for fear of incriminating myself to the authorities. J We continue to watch ‘Flight of the Conchords’, a stellar show with some delightfully goofy humor. Sunday night we went and saw ‘Mongol’, part one of a three part epic about Ghengis Khan. Pretty good film, perhaps a little high -handed with Ghengis’s being such a noble man, but that’s entertainment for you.

Veronica has been in Dubbo for a job most of the week. I’ve stayed out of trouble, diverting myself by playing ping-pong over at Andy’s Wednesday night. Last night Jamie and I went and had $10 steaks at the Ivanhoe. They lost our order, which ended up being awesome since they refunded our money and we enjoyed delicious free steaks. If there is anything that warms my chintzy heart it is a free meal. Veronica gets back today, STOKED, and we plan on seeing ‘The Dark Knight’ this weekend. Doubly stoked. Only other news is that the great one, Kelly Slater won J-Bay yesterday in South Africa. For non-surfers, Slater is the Michael Jordan of surfing. He has won 4 out of 5 contests this year, and he is on pace to win his 9th World Title. Amazing stuff.

No comments: