Monday, March 17, 2008

Week of the concerts






Good times were had this past weekend. Veronica and I went to see Jack Johnson this past Saturday out at Centennial Park. Before making it to the concert we went into town to have lunch at the Sydney Fish market. While at the market we enjoyed some tasty prawns (shrimp). I can say with confidence that those delicious crustaceans provided the necessary nutritional quota to carry both Veronica and myself through a long concert with nary a snack or even beverage. Well, that was mostly due to the fact that we had scored an epic patch of grass to watch the concert and we did not want to lose it, or get lost. Seriously, 30,000 people sprawled around made getting your bearings a little tricky.

The concert ended up being quite a fun time. Jack redeemed himself after his lackluster Live Earth performance of last year. Perhaps the coolest thing was G. Love and Special Sauce making a surprise performance. They played a sweet 30-minute set, which turned out to be a delicious slice of musical enjoyment.

This past week was all about music. Before Jack Johnson, Veronica, Jamie and myself went and saw Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings at the Enmore Theatre. Now everyone knows that I love two things, Veronica and surfing, but if that list were to include two other loves it might very well include the Enmore Theatre and SJ & The Dap-Kings. Firstly, the Enmore is the coolest place in Sydney to see a concert. Not only is it a great spot and the perfect size, but they also consistently have the best bands coming to play in their hallowed venue. And Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, well, if you don’t know them then I pity you. Or as Mr. T would say, ‘I pity the fool!’ These cats are responsible for bringing back the greatest music ever heard on our planet, the old school Motown sound of the 60’s. Their sound is like cotton candy; it is so sweet and addictive it very well could be considered a drug. The show was a good time, hot and humid, but a nonetheless a special time getting to hear their incredibly soulful licks live. Unfortunately, that concert as well as Jack’s has taught me something incredibly valuable. I am now approaching the age where I can’t handle the crowds at shows any longer. It breaks my spirit to admit it, but I am close to NEEDING venues like Nokia Theater. Yeah, I need a place where I can watch a show in a comfortable chair and AC.

I will hold out for as long as I can, but I have to admit it is not looking good. That or I really need to find out whose derriere I need to smooch so I can become a journalist for Rolling Stone. J

No comments: