Monday, March 24, 2008

Business Card of the Weak


This past week I had an epiphany of sorts regarding our blog. It dawned on me that giving an ESPN-style recap of our week must be getting a tad boring. Perhaps this realization stems from me feeling like writing posts can be a bit like a homework assignment at times. I’m not quite sure, but I know that what is missing is some quality absurdity. Often I’ve found that my fondest memories, nay, my most vivid and humorous memories stem from the little quirks and odd encounters that transpire while doing mundane tasks.

I feel that the picture of the ‘Lord of the Dings’ business card perfectly demonstrates exactly the sort of newfangled gems of humor I want to share. Please look at the photo of that card again. Laugh. Cry. Or perhaps pity the poor bastard who thought that this business name was going to really boost his clientele. Truly, are there many hobbit lovers who need car repairs? Aren’t they all children anyways? I know, I’m being hypercritical, no doubt about it. But come on, ADMIT IT, WHAT A DORK!

Incidentally, our mechanic gave me this card as I was getting our safety check done. I know last year I mentioned that registering a car in New South Wales is an expensive endeavor. This year, wow, we are getting royally hosed. Had to get the brakes replaced, new tires, a new backlight, and some rust holes fixed. All said, we are talking about 2K just to have a car for the year. Moral of the story, when you feel like the American government, or rather the DMV is a little too miserly regarding your car, just remember you could be in Australia, paying at least double.

In more important news, Veronica is settling in nicely with her new company. She is finally starting to receive work and has been out in the field twice this past week. Yesterday, while out in the field, she worked with a sub-contractor on a job. This man, let’s call him Classy, had some extremely insightful points of commentary for Veronica. Namely, ‘Have you had a breast enhancement?’ Oh, and he also felt like asking Veronica about her sex life as well. But old Classy wasn’t being rude, he was offering several tidbits from him and his wife’s sex life. Classy.

In summation I have just one question. How can such a cool, and progressive country be filled with so many absolute douche bags? Truly, it boggles my unemployable mind.

1 comment:

Nic said...

Lord of the Dings, awesome! That's great, if Joel ever gets his surfboard ding repair business off the ground we've got a front runner for the name.