Sunday, May 6, 2007

Turning 30 and we got a car






We’ve been blessed with some beautiful weather this past week. The sun has been shining, but it’s not too hot, and a nice cool breeze has been blowing. Basically, perfect fall weather in Sydney.

This past Friday we celebrated my 30th birthday. Good times were had by most as Veronica and I spent Friday night hanging out at the Harbord Hotel, listening to some good tunes with our friends. Unfortunately, Veronica was not feeling good due to having worked outside for 10 hours that day. I told my lovely wife that we should just go home, but she would have none of that business. Veronica is a trooper and made it through the night while suffering from a bad headache.

After sleeping in on Saturday, we headed into the city to watch a movie and have dinner. As you can see from the pictures we went to Tony Roma’s. Let me tell you, it was delightful getting to eat some good barbecue baby back ribs. As we’ve mentioned before, the cuisine here can be pretty hit or miss, so knowing that we were going to get to enjoy familiar BBQ was a real treat.

Sunday Veronica and I headed to Dee Why to go to the beach. I brought along my board (even though it was supposed to be flat) just in case there were a few waves to be had. Again, the pictures sum up how good the surf was, basically non-existent and pathetic. In an hour I caught 3 small waves. BTW, can you see me out there? Yeah, I have my back to the beach, wearing a black wetsuit top, and I am basically in the center of the photo. Pretty sweet, I know. After a late lunch, we went and did laundry, 3 weeks worth of laundry to be exact. For dinner we had our leftover ribs, which were still quite tasty. Overall the weekend was nice and mellow, perfect for a newly minted 30 year old.

This week the big news is that we now have a car. Yep, our friend Andy gave us his 1989 Toyota Camry Station Wagon, as he bought another car just recently. Getting a free car is pretty choice needless to say, and the best part is that it runs. Only bummer is that registering a car in Sydney is an expensive endeavor. After all is said and done with insurance and registration, the grand total will be a little over $1200 just to drive the car. Ouch! But the expense will be worth it to have a car to explore the city in, of this I am positive. It comes at a perfect time now that my little sister Jill is coming out to visit on the 16th for two weeks.

Hope you enjoy the photos, and we will be sure to include photos of our new chariot in the next post. Cheers.

No comments: