Thursday, February 22, 2007

A good week

Besides for our first week in Australia and our trip to Byron Bay, this has been the most interesting week. First and foremost, Veronica has been on 2 job interviews thus far, with one final interview tomorrow. My wife has been wooing these future employers, and apparently the company she interviewed with on Tuesday is ready to give her an offer! We are so excited, be excited with us!

In telemarketing news, on Monday I started my illustrious job. The first two days were “sales training”, and finally yesterday (3rd day) we were put on the phone. To say those first two hours of selling Accidental Death Insurance were brutal would be a gross understatement. The entire time my stomach felt queasy as I tried to hawk insurance over the phone. By the time I got my lunch break I had already got a zit on my forehead from making myself sick, not exactly a good start. Amazingly after lunch I started to improve, or rather not feel quite so miserable doing my job. The day ended with me not having sold one crappy policy, and the jackass who I could not stand one bit from my group had sold 4. Needless to say I was deflated, and walking the nighttime streets of Sydney while listening to my Ipod I eyed every pub longingly. I felt like Betty Ford. As I arrived at the Circular Quay to wait on my ferry back to Manly, I walked over to the Sydney Opera House. A nice breeze washed over me and as I looked out over the harbour to see all the lights bathing the Harbour Bridge, I stopped feeling sorry for myself. That view had been something I had dreamed of seeing for 2 years and I was finally seeing it, how could I be morose? A minute later my phone rang. Veronica was calling to tell me that our friend Morgan had a job for me where he worked, Video Australiasia. The job was driving a truck around making deliveries and picking up equipment for the next two and half weeks. I quit the telemarketing gig at 10 in morning and started my new job driving. I drove all around Sydney getting lost, it was one of the best days of work I have ever had! The best part is I make more money driving the truck around!

Sorry there are no pictures, but we just got new batteries for the camera, so we promise there will be all kinds of pictures next post on Sunday!

No comments: